Reupholstery is a relatively speedy service, with the whole process taking around 8-10 weeks from start to finish. The time your sofa’s out of the house is typically just 2-3 weeks.
How does this time frame compare to buying new?
When buying new, you can expect your furniture to arrive within 12 weeks, so there’s not much time difference between the two options at all. There are a few things to consider before you determine whether reupholstering or buying new is the better option for you. For example, reupholstered items tend to last a lot longer than new pieces, so it’s your call whether you think it’s worth it.
The reupholstery process – step by step
At Plumbs, our reupholstery process unfolds like this…
- A member of our skilled team will come and take a look at your furniture to assess if it can be reupholstered and how long it should take; at the same time, they’ll show you a range of fabrics and patterns to choose from.
- We’ll arrange for your furniture to be picked up and taken to our warehouse, where the stripping back and restoring of your furniture will take place.
- An expert upholsterer will carefully remove all existing upholstery down to the bare wood. Taking it down in this way allows for each layer to be carefully inspected and upholstery techniques noted so that reupholstering can be performed in the same manner in which the piece was made.
- We’ll inspect the frame and tighten all joints where necessary.
- Webs and springs are replaced as required.
- We replace all old padding and stuffing where needed.
- Finally, we’ll reupholster your sofa in the fabric of your choice – applying the top cover and finishing is the best part and where the furniture really comes to life.
- Your furniture will go through extensive quality control to ensure the work is finished to the highest standard.
Check out our video, which illustrates why reupholstery is the perfect way to transform your existing furniture without compromising the comfort, style and size of the original design.
Advantages of reupholstery
- Reupholstery is better for the environment. By choosing to reupholster, you’re keeping your furniture out of landfill.
- Comfort and sentimental attachment aren’t compromised. You’re making the furniture you know fits well in your home look brand new again.
- A reupholstered suite is a great value and sustainable alternative to buying a new suite.
- With a huge choice of fabrics to choose from you can create a bespoke new look not available on the high street.
- You can give a new lease of life to vintage or antique pieces.
Think you’ve got an eye for a bargain? Test your knowledge by guessing the value of these furniture pieces in our quiz!